I have started a study in John. I have read books of the Bible and lots out of John but I don't think I have sat down and studied this book from start to finish. I am starting now. I am not trying to fly through it. I am taking it chapter by chapter and maybe less if it involves much more detail. Chapter one itself showed so much to me. I want to include some of my notes, just in case someone (anyone?) out there could use this.
John chapter 1:
- God was there, along with Jesus. John came to share Jesus. Light (Jesus) will always overcome darkness (evil.) In this light, we see who we truly are, but it helps to put us on the right track. We are witnesses- here to reflect God's light.
- Moses came to present the law, but Jesus came to show God's mercy, love, and forgiveness.
- John was an odd man, who developed quit the crowd. They followed him. John was asked who he was. He replied by saying he was just preparing the way for the One. John didn't want them to him, but to know Jesus. John baptized as a sign of repentance. According to Jesus, John was the greatest of all prophets. Even John felt unworthy of Jesus. We should feel the same. John was quick to give Jesus all the glory. John was shown that Jesus was the Messiah at His baptism, by the Holy Spirit descending like a dove. John's job was to point others to Jesus. Today, people are looking for someone to provide security. Our job is to point them to Jesus.
- The disciples proved to us that words of faith come easy, but deep appreciation of Christ comes by faith.
- Nathanael was a man I hadn't heard much about until this chapter. His little part in this chapter speaks volumes to me. He almost missed out on the Messiah by stereotyping. He said nothing good could come out of Nazareth. Jesus knew this. Nathanael was impressed by Jesus' knowledge of him. Jesus promises greater things than this! We need to invite those who stereotype to know who the REAL Jesus is. So many believe they know who He is but don't have a clue. That's our job! Point them to HIM!
Just a few photos of a few people that I am more than grateful for!
A man of God who loves to read His Word!
And two little cuties who God is allowing me to raise!