Sunday, November 12, 2017

Taking time out

EXHAUSTED.  That's the word I would use to explain our family at the moment.  I feel like a tornado has picked up our family and has twirled us around for months and FINALLY put us back down.  What is the name of this tornado?  Football.  This was the first year for tackle football for us and it had us in a tizzy!  It is finally over.  Do not get me wrong, I LOVE watching my boys play football, absolutely love it.  It was a blast to watch G-Man out there and see his face light up when he became the champions b/c they were undefeated.  It was such a joy to watch Randy get out there and tackle and see the love for the game grow inside him.  It's just been exhausting.  

The other day, I signed the boys up for basketball.  I learned that G-Man and Randy wouldn't be on the same team due to their age differences.  They also have different "seasons."  This means G-Man would play for a while and then after he was finished, Randy would pick up.  When that was over, baseball would start.  I had a mental breakdown.  

Randall got home and I discussed my thoughts with him.  I told him how that night was the first night in a LONG time that we had at home.  We cleaned, played, curled up and watched tv, laughed, and even had a home cook meal.  It was GLORIOUS!  The kids were enjoying each other and just loving the time at home.  We decided to skip basketball season.  I thought for sure Randy would not be happy. I was in tears thinking about telling him.  But, guess what?!  He was all for it.  Even at his young age, he realized how much we needed that time at home, together.  He said he wanted more nights like the one we just had. 
Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE watching my boys play sports. However,  I saw the need that our family had.  We needed time TOGETHER.  Not on a field, or on a court.  We needed togetherness.  Our family was craving it and we didn't even realize it.  Everyone was on edge.  Everyone.  I told Randall I felt like I was being selfish.  He told me, "What part of wanting to be together is being selfish?"  

A couple of days later, I pick up the boys from school and I hear Randy say, "YAY!  Tonight is fun night!"  I asked him what that meant.  His response was, "You know, a night like we had the other night, playing and enjoying time at home!"  

Yes, I think it is safe to say we made the right choice.  Will I miss basketball season?  You betcha.  I love the sound of the ball dribbling up and down that court.  However, I love the sound of my children laughing and enjoying time together much more.  

I don't know what it was that got our family in this rut, but I am thankful we saw the need to climb out.  Some families can do it and still find time together, but I felt like our family was falling apart.  We were all frustrated with each other and just not focusing on our family and the Lord.  I am excited for some quality time together, which is MUCH NEEDED!  


2 comments:

  1. Hi Sadie! Welcome back to blogging! I'm so glad your decision was rewarded. I hope it will be a time of renewal for your family. (((hugs))) to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you and Randall are very wise. Sports is good, but sometimes it takes over everything else, and your family has to come first.

    ReplyDelete